Singer R.Kelly has lost a civil lawsuit by default after he failed to show up in Cook County Circuit Court to answer allegations he sexually abused an underage girl in the late 1990s. The alleged victim alleged in the suit filed in February that Kelly had repeated sexual contact with her beginning in June 1998 when she was just 16. Kelly was served a court summons but never filed an appearance, according to a filing from the woman’s attorney. On Tuesday, Judge Moira Johnson granted the attorney’s request to enter judgment against Kelly. Kelly’s accuser in the suit is one of the alleged victims at the center of pending criminal charges against Kelly, her attorney confirmed to the Tribune earlier this year. Kelly faces 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse involving four separate alleged victims, three of whom were underage at the time. Cook County prosecutors have alleged that Kelly’s manager approached the girl as she celebrated her 16th birthday at a restaurant, gave her Kelly’s card and told her to contact him. Her mother intercepted the card, but H.W. later found it in the mom’s purse and began to have sexual encounters with the singer about once a month, prosecutors said.
Content Goes Here